Thursday, October 24, 2013

I'm on a boat!

Je suis sur un bateau!...et autre choses...

A couple weekends ago, CILEC ((my French language program)) organized a small trip to a nearby river for a boat ride.

We arrived at the meeting spot, just in front of Hotel de Ville, joining a large crowd of students. I wasn't sure how we were all supposed to get to the river; there was a lot of us and we were in the middle of the city.

One bus turned a corner, parking by us. I scanned the group, then mentally scanned the size of the bus. It was just a normal city bus, certainly not big enough for the huge group of us that had signed up to go to the river.

By a feat of impossible physics we managed to fit five times the legal number of people onto the small bus. I was stuck in the aisle with scant to hold on to-- not a problem, thanks to the natural crush of people surrounding me. The bus driver seemed to make a game of how fast he could take a roundabout-- I unfortunately become very close to my neighbors.

Twenty five minutes of doing my best sardine impression later, we arrived at the river.



A little river snaked it's way through the hills; we shared the water with an assortment of wind surfers and kayaks.


The ride was slightly underwhelming-- we had seen some pictures of a gorgeous small castle, which was no where to be seen. Just as I thought the trip was over we made a sharp turn where I had thought the river ended.


The castle was really small, and sadly privately owned, but it was still pretty.


The boat ride wasn't that long, but it was short pretty ride on a river surprisingly close to St. Etienne.


I don't have any particularly good excuse as to why it took me this long to write a blog post. I finally had enough stuff I wanted to blog about pile up that I decided to write this blog, so I could write other blogs about my more recent adventures.

In other news, I went bowling with some friends a couple weeks ago. Bowling here is pretty popular-- we had to wait for a lane to open up, so we played some pool; not very popular. We got a lot of stares but it was hard to tell if it was because a) no one plays pool or b) we were a semi loud group of foreigners who really sucked at pool.

I went to Aix-En-Provence last weekend-- it was gorgeous and I can't wait to show you the pictures. Stay tuned to hear all about it!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment