Saturday, March 23, 2013

Sudden Snowfall

As I packed for Spring Break I thought of the warm temperatures of New Orleans and optimistically threw in shorts and sun dresses into my suitcase. I knew Jonesboro would be slightly cooler, but it couldn't be that much different, right?

Wrong. Not only has it been a chilly Spring Break here in Jonesboro, yesterday the ground was blanketed in 2-3 inches of snow.

Yup, that's right. Snow. In what I thought would be a warm spring break. I didn't believe the weather forecasters until the snow pounded down Thursday night.

The snow was falling so fast and it was so dark that the long shutter speeds turned the flakes into streaks.

It accumulated far quicker that I expected. Around two in the morning the snow was supposed to turn into rain-- and start eroding the white carpet of snow. So I snapped some long exposure photos of the backyard while it was still snowing. It's so cool to look at a almost pitch black yard and a 2 second exposure later it's as bright as mid-day.



Of course what you sacrifice is clarity-- it's hard to hold the camera perfectly still for two seconds; it's longer than you would think.

The next morning I headed out early in the morning to snap some pictures of the snow laden earth before it was all washed away by the rain.

 
It was so odd to glance out in the white backyard and see a splash of vivid pink from the tulip magnolia; snow and the blossoms normally don't coincide.


It's odd, a day or so earlier I had headed out to capture the beginnings of spring in the back yard-- and I'll post those pictures later. The sudden late snowfall was cool and very short lived. By nightfall most of the snow had been washed away by the rain.

Spring Break is almost over! I just keep telling myself that we are that much closer to summer. I can't wait for summer-- I wish I could just skip past that whole finals thing, find out if I was accepted into ISEP, and start my robotics research gig I landed this summer.

Thanks for reading! Check back soon for some spring photos :)

No comments:

Post a Comment