Monday, June 20, 2011

A Father's Day Gift

So, as everyone knows, Father's Day was yesterday. I washed my father's car, and baked him a delicious french chocolate dessert. While I was getting the ingredients ready I was like 'hey! This is a perfect photographic opportunity!'

It seems like I'm pigeon-holed into a certain type of photography--nature, and most of the time, close-up (but not really macro) photography. I actually have done cooking photography, mostly for classes. I'm not sure if I've shared with you those photographs...anyway! I decided to do a recipe/food photography for a change of pace. Also, the recipe is super easy and super delicious.

Ingredients:
5 oz of dark chocolate ((I use a cup of dark chocolate chips))
1 stick of butter ((doesn't it sound amazing already??))
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of flour
A pinch of sea salt

And that's it! Now, the last time I tried to take pictures while making a dessert the pictures turned out fine, but the dessert was a mess that tasted horrible. Since it was for a photography assignment that was okay, but this time the dessert was a gift meant for consumption. Last time, I focused solely on the photographs which meant that I put the wrong ingredients in at the wrong time and let it sit forever without mixing. This time I knew that I had to sneak the photos in while I made the dessert.

First, I cut the stick of butter up and put it in a bowl to stick in the microwave along with the cup of chocolate chips. The more traditional way to melt butter is to use a double boiler. o.o However, the easiest way is just to stick it in the microwave.





So I totally didn't take pictures of me adding the chocolate chips, putting the bowl in the microwave for a min, taking it out, stirring it, putting it back in, taking it back out, and stirring it some more. Rest assured, it totally happened.



Next, I turned to the eggs.


I cracked two eggs and threw them into a large bowl. Then, I took a smaller bowl and cracked a egg, doing my best to just get the whites in the smaller bowl. Then, I took the yolk and added it to the main bowl. I did this once more, thus ending up with four yolks and two eggs whites in the large main bowl.




...thought that was cute :P

Anyway! Next, I added a 1/4 cup of sugar to the egg mixture. By the way, you can either add the sugar slowly while beating the eggs or all at once before you beat them. I've done both ways and nothing awful happened when I accidentally just dumped the whole thing in there. ((I was too busy taking pictures to realize that that probably wasn't the best of ideas...))



So, slowly adding the sugar or not, start to beat the eggs until the are light and slightly frothy. Once that's done, add the egg mixture to the still warm melted chocolate and whisk together. Add the tablespoon of flour and continue to stir.

What I used to shape mine were little glass bowls. The original recipe called for making your own mold with foil cupcake liners. Whatteeverrr you wanna do. Fill the containers with the batter and stick into the oven. Depending on your containers size, cooking times will vary. I cooked mine for like seven/eight min and the interiors were still molten, like they are supposed to be.



Yum! Doesn't that look good?? Absolutely delicious. :)

Welll I hope that you enjoyed the slight detour from normal photography ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment