Friday, June 15, 2012

The One with the Shoes

Alternatively titled, Paris Rose. :)

Why? You'll see!

So, continuing on my crafting streak, I stumbled upon a cool tutorial that gave new life to old shoes.

I have an old pair of white shoes that I bought for Shirttails, a dance competition at my college.



After the competition, I threw them into the back of my closet and forgot about them. In the back of my mind I planned to paint them some time, like some of the amazing shoes I had seen on Deviant Art.

In this mental planning my complete lack of painting skills would magically turn into the perfect ability to decorate my shoes in a variety of Zelda symbols.

When I got back home for summer break, my tired old shoes just lay on my floor. The reality of my inability to draw a straight line broke any ideas of painting the shoes.

That's when I stumbled upon the coolest tutorial involving a pair of shoes, an old book, and copious amounts of mod podge. I didn't even know what mod podge was a week ago but since my jump into the deep end of crafting, I'm a little better versed in the materials. Mod podge is this type of glue substance. Armed with a 40% off coupon I found online I headed to Hobby Lobby and bought a small container of mod podge for around three dollars.



The cast of characters! Armed with these simple tools and my beat up shoes, I turned my iPhone on full volume and got started.



It was a little intimidating at first-- I had no clue what I was doing. I just knew I needed to paste the paper onto the shoe. It turned out as easy as it sounds. I slapped some mod podge down on the shoe, put the strip of paper on it and then pasted more mod podge over it. I had brought some scissors out to help cut the pages of the book but soon decided that I liked the rougher look of tearing the paper by hand.



It was fairly easy and fun work. It was also an awarding art form. There was no right or wrong way, it looked good no matter what you did.

I got lucky and one of the books in the Reader's Digest had 'Paris' in the title.



For the other shoe I used 'Rose'. It would've been cool to have French words on my shoes but the book I was cutting up was in English and I couldn't bare to cut even a page out of my old French novels, even if I still can't read them.



And now, after some time, effort, music, and an ungodly amount of mod podge, the finished shoes!





I'm so happy with how they turned out! I can't believe a craft of mine turned out this well. ;) I plan to give them a couple more coats of mod podge and wear them out in public. And then at every opportunity draw attention them because I'm just that proud of them :D I forgotten how much I paid for the white shoes, but it was less than ten dollars. The book was found in the back of some closet (free!) and the entire thing of mod podge (of which I used 1/20th?) was three dollars. Overall, a cheap way to make unique shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment