Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Strawberry Delight

So continuing on the French dessert kick mon pere is on, he attempted to make a strawberry dessert, one commonly found in all the pâtisseries in France.


It started with homemade pie crust-- problem number one. My poor father still can't make pie dough that resembles a dough consistency, but he just takes the sandy mixture and forces it to form a roughly circular shape in the bottom of the pie pan. His stubbornness normally pays off-- while it may not look good, it tastes decent.


However, this time he wasn't so lucky. He put the crust in the oven, forgetting to place a pan over the dough, weighed down with uncooked beans. This weight keeps the dough from rising too high, and pulling down on the edges. With two minutes left on the timer, he realized this mistake, and ruled the entire dessert ruined. Luckily for me, he kept going, making the custard like filling and cutting the strawberries.


Once the custard like filling had thickened and then cooled completely, he poured it over the pie dough, which had risen to a thick height. Then, he covered it with sliced strawberries.


He stuck the pan outside to continue cooling. I loved the setting. I would have never thought to put food outside on stone steps and take pictures, but I have to say, I love the results! The lighting was nice, and the stone provided a nice texture to shoot against.



When I came back inside, my dad laughed, asking if I had just taken photos of the dessert on the steps. It did sound a little odd, but like I said, I think the results made up for the odd set up.


It looked delicious, even if things hadn't gone according to plan. After a while, we brought it in and, with a little trepidation, cut out a slice. It was a little difficult hacking through the thick crust, but overall it tasted wonderful. The crust wasn't amazing, and the custard was slightly off, but c'est la vie I still thought it was tres bon


Did I mention how much I loved the stone backdrop? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment