Sunday, January 1, 2012

Winter Lake

So yesterday I hung out with my friend-- she had just got a new camera and so we headed to a local lake/park. I tried to help her-- haha, as though I know a lot about photography, the more I learn the more I realize I am such an amateur-- and show her some tips about taking photos.

Anyway, as it's winter, almost everything is dormant. All color that had graced the lake during spring and summer has now faded, replaced by the cool tones of winter. Normally, I would not have gone there to take photos-- after all what would I take pictures of?-- but regardless, that's where we headed to test drive my friends camera.

As a side note, this is the lake where I've taken all my sunset pictures at. However, we were there in the middle of the day, so sunset/silhouettes were out of the question.

I was surprised at how many photo opportunities there were, even in the dead of winter.


This strange plant was my favorite-- we have a large one in my backyard. I'm not sure what it is, but I really liked the texture of it.


I love this photo because not only do you get the good texture of the plant, but you also get the perspective and color of the lake behind it.


As always, there were some geese just hanging around. I really want to get a 55+ mm lens (aka, I want to zoom more) because my powers as a goose whisperer are sorely lacking. I try to sneak up on them and snap some closeups but they always dart into the water. What I need to do is bring some bread and tempt them with some food ;)


The sky was a beautiful winter blue, and I loved the bright color against the monotone plant.


It was the most awkward angle for me, as the plant was rather low to the ground. Still, as I crouched on the muddy bank of the lake, my tight-covered knees pressing into the damp ground, squinting the bright sunlight as I twisted my neck to get just the right angle, all I could think of was 'I love this shot'. ;)

In other news, I actually made a facebook page for my Photography! :D
Click here! It's small, but I'll be adding more photos as I go along. :D

So I can't believe this is my first post of 2012! The blog is on its way to be one year old....wow, that's old. My other blog that I started before abandoning, didn't last very long at all. This one I've been stubborn with-- I don't care if no one reads it, I am going to continue to post. Readers are just a plus ;)

2011 was a year of huge change when I sit down to actually think about it. I graduated from high school and I started college in a new city. I lived away from home for the first time. I made new friends. I improved in my photography. A lot has changed....but that just makes me excited for 2012. What will it be like, exactly one year from now? What will my reminiscing be about? The amazing summer bar tending job I landed? The boyfriend I got? The friends I made? I don't know, but I'm excited ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment